Snow and ice build-up on track poses a major safety risk, and can cause serious disruptions to rail service. A well-performing switch point heating system must prevent the moving switch (point) blade from freezing, prevent the switch rail from freezing to the supporting slide plates, and prevent any buildup of snow, sleet or hail between the switch rail and the stock rail that could compact and prevent the point system from operating correctly.
nVent ERICO provides customized heating systems that melt snow and ice on railway switches, improving safety and reliability in the harshest winter conditions. The nVent ERICO Rail Heating System provides robust snow and ice melting performance via a self-regulating heating cable that automatically adjusts power output according to changes in temperature. This advanced heating cable technology is significantly more efficient than conventional heating elements, resulting in a lower cost of ownership over its life-cycle. Self-regulating switch heating systems have been in service for more than 20 years, and is suitable for all types of rail transport, including high-speed, conventional freight rail, metros, tramways, and light rail systems.
- System operates at 24 V, which is a touch-safe voltage for railway workers
- Provides significant energy savings compared to older techniques in which the heaters are either constantly on for the entire winter or operated by a control sensor
- Proven technology with more than 20 years of usage history
- Available in a range of custom configurations with performance and specifications to suit the needs of many railway applications
- Long service life and minimal need for maintenance lowers total operational costs over the life of the system
nVent, nVent CADDY, nVent ERICO, nVent ERIFLEX, and nVent LENTON are owned by nVent or its global affiliates. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. nVent reserves the right to change specifications without prior notice.
nVent products shall be installed and used only as indicated in nVent's product instruction sheets and training materials. Instruction sheets are available at www.erico.com and from your nVent customer service representative. Improper installation, misuse, misapplication or other failure to completely follow nVent's instructions and warnings may cause product malfunction, property damage, serious bodily injury and death and/or void your warranty.